It has been quite a bit more than a week since the last update, but a lot has happened in that time! First, we released version 2.1.3 of the library, and switched the designer to use the 2.1 plugins by default. That means that we’ve opened up themes for everyone to use. We’ve also made it really easy to rollback too. However, let’s take a look at where we are now, since the move to a single code base for designer.
We have now released version 2.1 of the menu design software TcMenuDesigner. For all users it is now downloaded from GitHub instead of acquiring from the App Store. We notarize for Mac, package for Linux, and have an extended validation certificate for Windows deployments. So it should be quite easy to install for most. We initially thought getting it in the App Stores was what people wanted. However, most people seemed either neutral or negative to tcMenuDesigner being installed from the App Store.
In the image to the left, you see me debugging hardware I2C (or TWI) from AVR to a PCF8574. This past week and a bit I realised something, there’s a couple of missing pieces in the core libraries that are really needed to tidy up the last messy pieces in IoAbstraction. Once we move beyond TcMenu 2.0, we expect that it should be enhancements only. Firstly, we think that task manager lacks one last feature, a suitable generic cross-platform spin locking mechanism.
As promised last week, here’s an inflight update for this week. It’s been a busy week as we get further along in the preparations for tcMenu 2.0, and try to bring mbed further into the fold. First of the bat this week was to fix the last of the bugs we knew about in tcMenu 2.0 development branch, so as far as we know, anything outstanding is now fixed, and we are ready to do the final testing!
I’m going to start writing more frequently about our goals, and the plan is to do it here and share these updates on Facebook and Twitter, to avoid me having to write the core of the article twice. This time around I’m going to cover tcMenu 2.0, where it is, and what’s next. TcMenu 2.0 BETA designer UIs and Libraries are now available This is an exciting time for tcMenu, moving further towards a UI framework rather than just rendering line by line.
If you run you hosting on a Linux server, it normally comes out of the box pretty secure with few of the older less secure services enabled. On top of this, if you use a provider like AWS they further secure the server by their own custom firewall. I truly like Amazon Web Service and have used it for some time. They can scale from mom-and-pop shop right up to enterprise.
TL;DR: In Joomla there's often more than one way to get to the same page, if you're moving off joomla this needs to be considered, *preferably before moving any pages*. This article discusses the cases that I found [during my recent move to hugo](https://www.thecoderscorner.com/team-blog/web-design/cms/moving-to-hugo-from-joomla/). URL Mappings in Joomla, the background Recently I decided to move a joomla site over to hugo; I had search engine friendly URLs turned on and therefore assumed the mapping should be easy.
In this article I discuss moving sites from Joomla over to Hugo static content manager. Before we start lets take a quick look at why we may want to do this, and the cases were it may not be appropriate. tl;dr: In summary, hosting a site on Joomla is time consuming and requires that both Joomla and PHP are frequently updated. If you’re site is suitable for Hugo and are considering moving over, take a look through the phases below.
For the first time ever, this site is now statically generated using hugo content templating system, I wish I'd done it years ago. For technology sites it really is like a breath of fresh air, as there is no more playing around trying to get code and technical content into an online editor designed for WYSIWYG general purpose blog editing. For some time, I had kept the misconception that a CMS had to be dynamic; that was until I found I was spending considerable time trying to keep my Joomla system up to date and safe.